Vegetarian Diet Plan for Weight Loss 1500 Calorie
If you want to follow a vegetarian diet plan for weight control, use the portion-controlled menu below as a guide. This basic menu supplies fewer than 1,500 calories and is high in essential nutrients and fiber. If you eliminate dairy products, substitute lowfat soy milk and soy yogurts. (Be sure to choose brands that are enriched with the vitamins and minerals normally provided by dairy products, such as calcium and vitamin D.)
To keep this menu as nutritionally balanced as possible, make all substitutes within the same food group, substituting fruit for fruit, grain for grain, veggie for veggie, in equal amounts. And remember to drink lots of water with and between meals.
• 1 cup oatmeal sprinkled with 2 Tbsp. wheat germ
• 1 apple or pear
• 1 cup skim or low-fat milk
• 1 cup mixed fruit salad over …
• 2 cups salad greens, sprinkled with …
• 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, raspberry vinegar or fresh lemon juice
• 1 cup any-flavor low-fat yogurt
• 1 cup cooked whole-wheat and regular pasta (mix 1/2 cup whole-wheat pasta with 1/2 cup regular)
• 1/3 cup tomato sauce
• 4 soy “meatballs” (found in the freezer section of most supermarkets)
• 1 cup steamed broccoli or broccoli rabe with garlic
• 1/2 cup orange sections
• 1/3 cup bean dip
• 1/4 cup salsa
• 8 baked tortilla chips
Calorie-wise flavor tips:
• Add a pinch or two of cinnamon-sugar to oatmeal and other hot cereals.
• Add lots of garlic to plain bottled or canned tomato sauce.
• Add chopped fresh mint leaves to fruit salad and sprinkle over sliced individual fruits.
• Add chopped fresh cilantro to packaged bean dips and salsas.